The Indian Statistical Service and the Indian Economical Service are career opportunities for those who have a keen interest to be a part of the Indian economic policy formulation team.
The UPSC conducts the Indian Economic/Statistical Services Examination to recruit officers in the planning commission, planning board, ministry of economic affairs, national sample survey and other allied offices where specialists in economics and statistics are required. Selected candidates are also placed in the Labour Bureau, Central Electricity Authority, Economic Advisers to many ministries, Forward Market Commission, Tariff Commission, Planning Board, Tariff Commission National sample survey, etc. Candidates may even go on deputations to different agencies of United Nations.
ELIGIBILITY FOR CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION
A candidate must be either:
(a) A citizen of India, or
(b) a subject of Nepal, or
(c) a subject of Bhutan, or
(d) a Tibetan refugee who came to India before 01.01. 1962 with permanently residing intention in India.
(e) a person of Indian origin who have migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Srilanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with permanently settling intention in India.
Provided a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) shall be a person whose eligibility certificare has been issued by the Government of India.
A candidate must have the age of 21 years and must not have the age of 30 years on 1st of August, in the year of examination .
The maximum age limit prescribed above will be relaxable only in the following cases:
- SC or a ST: maximum five years.
- OBC: three years maximum.
- Jammu & Kashmir (Domiciled during the period from the 01.01. 1980 to 31.12.1989): five years maximum.
- Defence Services personnel : five years maximum
(disabled in the operations during the hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof)
- Ex-servicemens including the Commissioned officer and ECOs/SSCOs who have served at least five years Military Service and have been released (i) on completion of assignment otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or (ii) on account of physical disability attributable to Military Service, or (iii) on invalidment: upto a maximum of five years.
- ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered an initial period of assignment of five years of Military Service and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and that they will be released on three month’s notice on selection from the date of receipt of offer of appointment : upto a maximum of five years.
- Blind, deaf-dumb and physically handicapped persons: upto a maximum of ten years.
Cumulative Age relaxation:
SC, the ST and the OBC who are also covered under other clauses mentioned above will be eligible for grant of cumulative age-relaxation under both the categories.
Ex-servicemen Rules, 1979, as amended from time to time.
The age concession will not be applicable to Ex-Servicemen and Commissioned Officers including ECOs/SSCOs, who are released on own request.
Date of Birth Certificate:
The date of birth accepted by the Commission as in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognized by an Indian University as equivalent to Matriculation or in an extract from a Register of Matriculates maintained by a University, which extract must be certified by the proper authority of the University or in the Higher Secondary or an equivalent examination certificate.
No other document like horoscopes, affidavits, birth extracts from Municipal Corporation, service records and the like will be accepted.
Once the date of birth is submitted in the Commission, no change is allowed subsequently (or at any other Examination of the Commission) on any grounds whatsoever.
For admission to the examination, a candidate must have:
- Post-graduate degree in Economics/Applied Economics/Busines Economics/Econometrics for IES
- Post-Graduate degree in Statistics/Mathematical Statistics/Applied Statistics for ISS
- Degree should be from a University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutes established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, or a foreign university approved by the Central Govt. from time to time.